SUBJECT: Accreditation of Schools
I. Board Directive
Recognizing the need for a high quality and well-balanced educational system, the Board endorses District participation in accreditation programs. The Jordan School District shall become involved in only those accreditation programs which are approved by the Utah State Department of Public Instruction. Accreditation procedures are justified on the basis of the following:
- That they encourage the improvement of educational opportunities and services.
- That they involve the development of criteria of evaluation or standards of performance which stimulate continual improvement.
- That they promote cooperative relationships among colleges and high schools, between high schools and the State Department of Public Instruction, and among schools throughout the State.
The Administration shall present an annual status report of school accreditations and related activities to the Board. The Board authorizes the Administration to participate in approved accreditation programs.
II. Administrative Policy
As directed by the Board, the District Administration shall assume the leadership role in encouraging schools to participate in accreditation programs. However, direct responsibility for coordinating accreditation activities shall be delegated to the Administrators of Schools.
- Senior high schools shall cooperate with the Northwest Accreditation Commission, a division of AdvancED, in conducting accreditation as defined in the handbook issued by the Northwest Accreditation Commission.
- Middle schools and elementary schools shall cooperate with the Utah State Office of Education (USOE). These schools shall utilize the standards and procedures of accreditation as outlined by the USOE.
- District Procedures
- Requests for participation in accreditation programs shall be prepared by the school principals and submitted to the Administrators of Schools for review and endorsement.
- The Administrators of Schools shall submit the requests to the proper accreditation offices.
- All accreditation activities shall be coordinated by the Administrators of Schools.
- Annual accreditation reports shall be submitted to the Administrators of Schools for District approval.
These policies have been developed and
approved by the Jordan School District Board of Education for exclusive
use within Jordan School District. Any use by a person or organization
outside of Jordan School District is not authorized by the school district.
Jordan School District bears no responsibility for such unauthorized
use or adaptation of the policies of Jordan School District. Any party
copying or revising these policies for its own use does so at its own
risk and responsibility as to applicability and legal sufficiency.
Foreward | Alphabetical Policy Listing | Index by Policy Categories | Index by Policy Number | Jordan District Home