SUBJECT: Drama Production Selection Committee
- Board Directive
The Board supports the concept that the students in the District are entitled to experience good dramatic productions. The Board recognizes that class and school drama productions are an extension of the state core curriculum as well as national standards, and enhance students’ understanding and interpretation of the world around them. To assure that age-appropriate material that reflects community standards is performed and/or produced in District schools, the Board authorizes the Administration to the establish a Drama Production Selection Committee for the District and for each local school.
- Administrative Policy
Local school principals and the District Administration have the responsibility to ensure that the local and District Drama Production Selection Committees approve appropriate material to be produced by District schools. Parents share responsibility in the approval process of dramatic material to be produced in the schools. Parent and teacher recommendations and concerns are to be carefully considered by the appointed committee before approval is given.
- District Drama Production Selection Committee: This committee will screen productions that will be presented within the school programs in Jordan District.
- Membership shall include the following:
- One parent from each high school feeder area. Each Administrator of Schools shall have the responsibility of appointing a parent to the District committee. Parent names will be selected from a pool provided by secondary principals per local School Community Council recommendations. There should be one more parent than school employees on the committee.
- Administrator of Schools
- Administrator of Curriculum and Staff Development
- Fine Arts Consultant (Chair)
- Drama teacher
- Functions of the District Drama Production Selection Committee
- To review and approve recommendations and address concerns from the Local School Drama Production Selection Committee. The principal and teacher will be invited by the committee to address local production concerns.
- To review and revise District drama approved production lists.
- To make parents, teacher, and students aware of the committee and its purpose (District website).
- Local Drama Production Selection Committee: Established at the local school level, this committee will screen productions to be presented within the school program and recommend productions which are not on the District approved list to the District Drama Production Selection Committee.
- Membership on the Local Drama Production Selection Committee shall include the following:
- Local school drama teacher
- Principal or other administrator as assigned by the principal
- One additional teacher depending on presentation format (i.e., music teacher for musicals, English teacher for plays, etc.)
- Four (4) parent representatives, one to be selected by the School Community Council. There should be one more parent than school employees on the committee.
- Functions of the Local School Drama Production Selection Committee
- Review and approve local recommended material for submission to District Drama Production Selection Committee for final approval.
- Complete a District Drama Production Recommendation Form and submit it to the District Drama Production Committee.
- Submit a copy of the script to the District Drama Production Selection Committee.
- Drama teacher submitting script may be asked to make a five-minute presentation to the District committee.
- General Procedures
- Materials used in class by students for individual assignments shall be approved by the classroom teacher and reviewed by the local school principal or administrator assigned by the principal.
- Materials involving school productions shall be approved by the Local School Drama Production Selection Committee for final approval.
- If a production already appears on the District Approved List of Drama Productions, it does not need to be resubmitted; however, it still must be approved by the Local School Drama Production Selection Committee.
- If a production appears on the District Approved List of Drama Productions, it is the responsibility of the local school to make certain the interpretation of the material is reasonable and within acceptable community standards. In addition, any cuts or script modifications must be in compliance with federal copyright law.
- If a production does not appear on the District approved list of drama productions, it will need to be submitted to the District Drama Selection Committee for review and approved prior to production.
- School Responsibilities
- Complete the Drama Production form and send it to the Curriculum Department at the District office two (2) months prior to the production.
- If any simulated firearm is to be used in the play, the Simulated Firearm Form must be filled out and a copy submitted to the Curriculum Department at the District Office two (2) months prior to the production.
- Consent forms for students who wish to participate in drama productions should be signed by a parent prior to the production. This consent form should include information about play content and time requirements for the students and should be retained at the school.
- It is the responsibility of the principal or designee to ensure that drama productions have both local and District committee approval prior to beginning rehearsals and performances.
These policies have been developed and
approved by the Jordan School District Board of Education for exclusive
use within Jordan School District. Any use by a person or organization
outside of Jordan School District is not authorized by the school district.
Jordan School District bears no responsibility for such unauthorized
use or adaptation of the policies of Jordan School District. Any party
copying or revising these policies for its own use does so at its own
risk and responsibility as to applicability and legal sufficiency.
Foreward | Alphabetical Policy Listing | Index by Policy Categories | Index by Policy Number | Jordan District Home