SUBJECT: School Advisory Council
- Board Policy
Issues relating to the effective and efficient functioning of schools are best resolved at the lowest local level. The Board authorizes the establishment of School Advisory Councils for the purpose of communicating areas of concern in the individual schools.
- Administration Policy
The Board authorizes the Administration to operate the School Advisory Councils according to the following:
- A School Advisory Council shall be established in each school from the faculty of that school to provide for orderly and professional means of improving program coordination and communications within the school.
- Division Organization
- High Schools
One representative from the non-academic subject areas, one representative from the academic subject areas, one certificated employee agent faculty representative, one representative from the counseling staff, the principal, and one assistant principal designated by the principal.
- Middle Schools
One representative from the non-academic subject areas, one representative from the academic subject areas, one llicensed employee agent faculty representative, one representative from the counseling staff, the principal, and one assistant principal designated by the principal.
- Elementary Schools
One representative from the primary grades, one representative from the intermediate grades, one licensed employee agent faculty representative, and the principal.
- Additional participation or representation on the Council will be determined by the Council as needs arise.
- Teacher representatives and the counselor will be elected by the teaching staff.
- It shall be possible for individual members of the Council to introduce any items of business or points of view to be considered by the Council.
- Minutes shall be recorded on the School Advisory Council Committee minutes form and approved by the Council before distribution throughout the school and to the appropriate Administrator of Schools.
- The Council should meet monthly or more frequently if business dictates. The chairman will be elected by the Council. The operating procedures of the Council will be determined by the Council.
- The Council work shall not carry over into the administration of policies and programs.
- All items of business or recommendations coming from this Council are advisory only.
- Request for Review
- Issues of concern or discussion shall first be communicated to the person(s) involved in the matter with the objective of resolving the issues informally and making it clear that a review by the School Advisory Council may be considered.
- If the issue cannot be resolved within fifteen (15) working days, those initiating the review may contact the School Advisory Council to review the matter. All issues must first be reviewed by the School Advisory Council. This step may be waived only if the principal is the subject of the issue.
- If resolution is not achieved through steps 1. and 2., the chairman and/or co-chairs of the School Advisory Council may request in writing a review of the matter by the Administrator of Schools. A summary of the findings and conclusions of the School Advisory Council shall be included with the request for review. A copy of the request shall be given to the school principal.
- The Administrator of Schools will convene a review committee made up of Administrator of Schools, the Planning and Student Services administrator and two representatives from the licensed employee agent.
- A summary of the Review Committee findings and conclusions will be prepared by the Administrator of Schools and sent to the requesting party within twenty (20) working days of the receipt of the request for review. The conclusions of the Review Committee are final.
These policies have been developed and
approved by the Jordan School District Board of Education for exclusive
use within Jordan School District. Any use by a person or organization
outside of Jordan School District is not authorized by the school district.
Jordan School District bears no responsibility for such unauthorized
use or adaptation of the policies of Jordan School District. Any party
copying or revising these policies for its own use does so at its own
risk and responsibility as to applicability and legal sufficiency.
Foreward | Alphabetical Policy Listing | Index by Policy Categories | Index by Policy Number | Jordan District Home