SUBJECT: Releasing Minors From School Attendance
The Board recognizes that under Utah statute, a minor between the age of five (5) and eighteen (18) years of age is required to attend either a regularly established private or public school. The Board also recognizes that there are exceptions to this provision under the law and delegates to the District Administration responsibility for developing policy to handle exceptions to these Compulsory Education requirements.
Exceptions to the compulsory attendance requirement shall be administered according to the following administrative policy provisions:
- A partial release from school to enter employment may be given to students who are over age sixteen (16) and who have completed the eighth grade. Minors excluded under this provision are required to attend part-time schooling or home schooling as prescribed by the Board.
- Students may be excluded from the compulsory attendance requirement in the following circumstances:
- The minor has completed the work required for graduation from high school.
- The minor is taught at home in the subjects required by the Utah State Office of Education (USOE) in accordance with requirements established by the USOE and the Jordan Board of Education for the same length of time as minors are required by law to be taught in the District schools.
- The minor is in a physical or mental condition which renders school attendance inexpedient and impractical. The student's condition must be certified by a licensed physician.
- The minor's employment provides proper influences and adequate opportunities for his/her education.
- The Administration has determined that a minor over the age of sixteen (16) is unable to profit from attendance at school because of inability or a continuing negative attitude toward school regulations and discipline.
These policies have been developed and
approved by the Jordan School District Board of Education for exclusive
use within Jordan School District. Any use by a person or organization
outside of Jordan School District is not authorized by the school district.
Jordan School District bears no responsibility for such unauthorized
use or adaptation of the policies of Jordan School District. Any party
copying or revising these policies for its own use does so at its own
risk and responsibility as to applicability and legal sufficiency.
Foreward | Alphabetical Policy Listing | Index by Policy Categories | Index by Policy Number | Jordan District Home