SUBJECT: Student Information Network Acceptable Use Policy
- Board Policy
The Board recognizes the need for a policy governing the use of the electronic information resources by students as outlined in Utah State Code §53A-3-422. Responsibility is delegated to the District Administration for implementing the policy according to established guidelines.
- Administration Policy
The Acceptable Use Policy shall be administered and implemented according to the terms and conditions outlined in the following guidelines
This policy references the use of electronic information resources made available to students by Jordan School District. These resources include, but are not limited to, voice mail, electronic mail, the Internet, and other network files or accounts provided to students. Student use of electronic information resources must be in support of education and research and must be consistent with the educational objectives of Jordan School District. While access to all materials on a worldwide network cannot be controlled, Internet access in Jordan School District is filtered and monitored on an ongoing basis.
- Terms and Conditions of This Policy
- Acceptable Network Use
- Students will use the Internet and other electronic information resources in an appropriate manner, abiding by the rules and regulations described in this policy.
- Students who formally publish school or District related information on the Internet must have proper approvals and abide by district publishing guidelines and procedures (as per D212–District and School Web Sites).
- Students are expected to abide by generally accepted rules of network etiquette. These rules include, but are not limited to, being polite, never sending or encouraging others to send abusive messages, and never using inappropriate language.
- Unacceptable Network Use
- Students may not intentionally transmit or receive material in violation of law or District policy. This includes, but is not limited to, pornographic, indecent or sexually suggestive materials, weapons, controlled substances or alcohol, or incendiary devices. A student may not be in possession of or use pornographic material on school property. Users are prohibited from posting or sending content that contains threats or is hatefully or racially, ethically or otherwise objectionable.
- Students may not participate in or promote any illegal or inappropriate activities, disruptive use of the network, or activities of any kind that do not conform to the rules, regulations and policies of Jordan School District.
- Students may not use the network for product advertisement or political lobbying.
- Students may not reveal personal information such as names, addresses, telephone numbers, passwords, credit card numbers or social security numbers. Releasing personal information of others or that of organizations associated with the District is prohibited.
- Students may not intentionally harm or destroy District data, the network, or network performance. This includes, but is not limited to, creation and introduction of computer viruses, unauthorized access to restricted systems or programs, or using the district network to illegally access other systems.
- Expectation of Privacy
- Student files, disks, documents, etc., which have been used or created with District electronic information resources are not considered private.
- Electronic mail transmissions are not private.
- Students will participate in a discussion with a parent or legal guardian District policy AA445–Student Information Network Acceptable Use Policy, which includes proper behavior and use of the network.
- Students will receive training regarding appropriate online behavior, including interacting with other individuals on social networking websites and in chat rooms, and cyberbullying awareness and response.
- Students will be required to submit a new Student Signature of Agreement Form each year or upon special request.
- Disciplinary Action
- The combined signatures indicates that the student and parent/legal guardian has carefully read, understands and agrees to abide by these terms and conditions regarding proper behavior and use of the network. The signatures on the Student Signature of Agreement Form are legally binding.
- Students who violate the terms and conditions of this policy will be subject to disciplinary action, including the possibility of suspension or expulsion from school and appropriate legal action. Access to electronic information may be limited, suspended or revoked.
- Service Disclaimer
Jordan School District makes no warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied, for the electronic information resources it is providing. The District will not be responsible for any damages a student suffers while using these resources. These damages may include, but are not limited to, loss of data as a result of delays, student errors or omissions, or non-deliveries or service interruptions caused by a network system. Use of information obtained by the network system is at the student's own risk. Jordan School District specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy of information obtained through the electronic information resources.