SUBJECT: Medication In The School Setting
- Board Directive
The Board recognizes that some students need to receive medication during the school day and delegates to the Administration responsibility for developing appropriate policy for administering medication to students in accordance with Utah Code Title 53A Chapter 11 Part 6 and for the self-administration of medication by the student. A summary of policy AS85 - Medication in the School Setting and the District’s procedures guidelines “Administering Medications at School” will be provided to parents and/or guardians on a yearly basis.
- Administrative Policy
The Administration authorizes the following administrative policy provisions for administering medication to students.
- School Personnel Administering Medication:
- School personnel may administer prescription medication or nonprescription (over-the-counter) medication to a student during the regular school day as specified in the District’s procedures guidelines “Administering Medications at School” and in accordance with Utah Code Title 53A Chapter 11 Part 6. “Administering Medications at School” guidelines shall include provisions for the designation and training of volunteer employees who may administer medication, the proper identification and safekeeping of medication, the maintenance of records of administration and notification to the school nurse of medication that will be administered to students.
- In the event of a medical emergency, the school must call 911.
- Self-Administration of Medication
- Self-administration of medication by students shall be allowed under the procedures specified in "Administering Medications at School.”
- Distribution of any drug or medication from one student to another will be considered Dangerous and Disruptive Conduct and shall be dealt with according to the provisions of Policy AS90—Drugs and Alcohol.
These policies have been developed and
approved by the Jordan School District Board of Education for exclusive
use within Jordan School District. Any use by a person or organization
outside of Jordan School District is not authorized by the school district.
Jordan School District bears no responsibility for such unauthorized
use or adaptation of the policies of Jordan School District. Any party
copying or revising these policies for its own use does so at its own
risk and responsibility as to applicability and legal sufficiency.
Foreward | Alphabetical Policy Listing | Index by Policy Categories | Index by Policy Number | Jordan District Home