- Board Directive
The Board recognizes that maintaining a high level of immunization among the students contributes to the health and well-being of the total community. Therefore, the Board authorizes the Administration to establish immunization screening procedures and to exclude from school those students who are not either immunized or exempted as required by Utah Code Ann. §53A-11-301 et seq. and any applicable Utah Department of Health rules.
- Administration Policy
The Administration shall be responsible for establishing policy by which the level of immunization of all students can be determined and appropriate action can be taken in cases where immunization levels do not comply with the law.
- Local schools shall be responsible to monitor the immunization records and compliance of all students. District nurses shall serve as advisers to the school in this process.
- A student may not enter school without a certificate of immunization from a licensed physician or authorized representative of the state or local health department stating that the student has received immunization against communicable diseases as required by rules adopted by the Utah Department of Health unless the student qualifies for a conditional enrollment or an exemption from immunization as follows:
- Conditional Enrollment
A student who at the time of school enrollment has not been completely immunized against each disease specified by the Utah Department of Health may attend school under a conditional enrollment if the student has received one dose of each specified vaccine prior to enrollment and is on schedule for subsequent immunizations. A military child, as defined in Utah Code §53A-1-1001, shall be given 30 days from the day of enrollment to receive one dose of each specified vaccine and to be on schedule for subsequent immunizations. If subsequent immunizations are one calendar month past due, the student may no longer be conditionally enrolled and shall be excluded from school (Utah Department of Health Rule 396-100-7). The student's parent, guardian, a legal-age brother or sister of a student who is without parent or guardian, or the student if of legal age shall ensure that immunizations are completed on schedule and provide satisfactory evidence to the school that the student's immunization has been obtained.
- Conditional Enrollment Review
The immunization status of those students enrolled conditionally shall be reviewed by the school every 30 days to ensure conformed compliance (Utah Department of Health Rule 396-100-7).
- Exclusion of Conditionally Enrolled Students
Students enrolled conditionally shall be excluded from school if the school is not provided with appropriate documentation of adequate immunization being completed on schedule. Exclusion from school shall begin five days after the conditional enrollment time period expires. Within these five days, the school shall mail to the last known address of a parent, guardian, or legal-age brother or sister of a student who is without parent or guardian a final written notice of pending suspension and of the student's right to file for an exemption.
- Referral to Juvenile Court
Parents or guardians of children who are prohibited from attending school for failure to comply with the provisions of conditional enrollment shall be referred to the juvenile court.
- Exemption from Immunization
A student is exempt from receiving the required immunization if there is presented to the school one or more of the following:
- A Utah State Medical Exemption form from a licensed health care provider stating that due to the physical condition of the student one or more specified immunizations would endanger the student's life or health.
- An official Utah State Personal Exemption form obtained at the local health department where the student resides indicating that the person has a personal belief opposed to immunizations.
- An official Utah State Religious Exemption form obtained at the local health department where the student resides indicating that the person is a bona fide member of a specified, recognized religious organization whose teachings are contrary to immunizations. (Utah Code Ann. §53A-11-302).
- The administration will comply with the McKinney-Vento Act (see Policy AS63(II)(F) – Student Eligibility to Attend School.)
- With respect to any student for whom a school does not have a Utah School Immunization Record, the school shall notify by mail, telephone or in person the parent, guardian, a legal-age brother or sister of a student who is without parent or guardian, or the student if of legal age, at least 30 days before school begins that:
- The school has no Utah School Immunization Record for the student.
- The school may not admit the student without proof of immunization or evidence that the student qualifies for conditional enrollment or is exempted on medical, personal or religious grounds.
- The student may be immunized and receive certification by a private physician or public health authorities.
- Immunizations are available from the local health department.
- Students moving into Utah during the summer shall be notified of these requirements at the time of first registration.
- Each school shall maintain on file an official Utah School Immunization Record for each student or a Utah Department of Health Personal Exemption Form if the student claims a personal exemption. A copy of the certificate shall be made available to the parent or guardian, or the student is of legal age, when the student withdraws, transfers, is promoted, or otherwise leaves the school, or the school shall transfer the certificate with the student's school record to the new school.
- The principal shall identify all who have not completed their immunization program as outlined by the State Board of Health and notify the coordinator of Educational Support Services of any students who are excluded from school because of failure to meet immunization requirements.
- During the first week of August, elementary schools shall notify middle schools and middle schools shall notify high schools of any incoming students who have not met the immunization requirements.
- Exclusions of students who are under exemption or conditionally enrolled status will follow Utah Code Ann. §53A-11-302 and Utah Department of Health Rule 396-100-8.