SUBJECT: Building Access—Schools
I. Board Directive
Recognizing the need to maintain security at all school buildings, the Board authorizes the Administration to establish a procedure for the proper use of inside/outside master keys, and building access codes. Adherence to this policy shall be required as a protective measure for both employees and the public.
II. Administrative Policy
Principals have the responsibility for building security and the issuing
of keys/codes subject to the following administrative policy provisions:
- Only the principal and head custodian are authorized to have inside/outside master keys. All others will have access based on their card access authorization.
- Access will be determined by authorization given by the principal on the access/ID cards.
- Appropriate security codes shall be assigned for each administrator, head secretary, custodian, and senior sweeper. If the school offers a breakfast program, or other local school concerns exist, the nutrition service manager shall also be issued security codes with the approval of the Area Administrator of Schools and Administrator of Auxiliary Services.
- No outside master keys, access keys, or security codes shall be issued
to or used by any individual other than those specified in item A above.
- Any access after hours requires prior arrangements with the principal.
After hours is defined as that time when the custodian is not scheduled to
be in the building. This applies to all alarmed buildings including portable
classrooms. The appropriate "Building Access Permit" form must be
completed. The principal or designee shall inform Alarm Response of all persons
authorized to be in the building after hours. Alarm codes are not to be given
to unauthorized employees.
- All employees are to be out of the school by 8:00 p.m., and on weekends
and holidays unless prior arrangements are made with the principal and Alarm Response.
- Entry into the school before or after regular hours requires a clearance
call to Alarm Response, (801)567-8865.
- Students are not to be issued security codes, ID/Access cards or allowed in a building without adult employee supervision.
- No security codes or ID/Access cards are to be issued to any member of the community, or a club or organization.
- Alarm Response shall be notified immediately of any lost keys or access cards, or if an unauthorized individual has obtained an access code.
- Employees who copy a key or disregard or fail to follow this policy shall
be subject to disciplinary action or termination.
These policies have been developed and
approved by the Jordan School District Board of Education for exclusive
use within Jordan School District. Any use by a person or organization
outside of Jordan School District is not authorized by the school district.
Jordan School District bears no responsibility for such unauthorized
use or adaptation of the policies of Jordan School District. Any party
copying or revising these policies for its own use does so at its own
risk and responsibility as to applicability and legal sufficiency.
Foreward | Alphabetical Policy Listing | Index by Policy Categories | Index by Policy Number | Jordan District Home