SUBJECT: Assignment of Bus Drivers and Bus Attendants
- Board Directive
The Board recognizes the value of having a clearly defined statement relative to assignment of bus drivers, and delegates to the Administration the responsibility to administer the following bus driver assignment policy.
- Administrative Policy
The Administration delegates the responsibility for assignment of bus
drivers to the Director of Transportation who shall perform such
responsibilities consistent with the following regulations and
- Each driver shall
have a valid Commercial Drivers License (CDL) with proper endorsements.
Drivers shall receive a reimbursement for CDL renewal.
- Each driver shall
provide the Director of Transportation with a doctor's statement that
the driver has passed a physical examination and is physically fit to
assume the full responsibilities of a bus driver.
- The Board shall pay
$50 every other year of employment to each driver for a physical
examination by a qualified physician. Each driver will be responsible
for making his/her own arrangements for this physical examination.
- Regular Bus Routes -
A.M. and P.M.
- All bus drivers and bus attendants employed by the District will be assigned a regular morning and afternoon route by the Director of Transportation. Changes in assignments will be made at the beginning of each school year insofar as possible. A driver whose contract route is involuntarily reduced mid-year due to unexpected route changes or other extenuating circumstances will maintain their benefit calculation ratio, in effect at the time of the route reduction, through the end of the current contract year. The benefit ratio determines the amount the employee will pay for insurance coverage.
- When vacancies occur
on established routes, new routes, kindergarten routes, or special
education routes, this information will be posted for five (5) working
days at the Transportation Office. Drivers or attendants may sign up
for those runs based on department seniority and qualifications. Once
the vacancy has been filled, other drivers or attendants may request
assignment to the subsequent vacancy. If any created vacancy requires
more than 30 hours of work per week, the position must be opened for
bid. Any other subsequent vacancies shall be listed and distributed to
contract drivers who may review and request in writing to the Director
of Transportation. All others will be appointed by the Director of
Transportation based on qualifications.
- Applicants may have
one (1) reassignment per fiscal year for any purpose. Additional
reassignments are allowed if the reassignment will give the applicant
- Drivers will be
assigned to regular kindergarten routes, and will be paid at their
regular rate of pay for a minimum of two (2) hours, to include 30 minutes
for the daily pre-trip/post-trip inspection, cleaning and refueling
the bus, or actual time above the two (2) hours regardless of the number
of routes served.
- Rescheduling of
routes may alter time requirements from year to year.
- No assignment will
be made which creates excessive deadheading. Excessive deadheading
shall be defined as "greater than allowed on regular bus
- Drivers cannot
circumstances may require the director to reassign drivers or
attendants without regard to department seniority when it is
necessary to meet special district or employee needs which are
reasonable and not arbitrary.
- If a driver or
attendant requests assignment to a bus run away from the areas in
which he/she lives, he/she must furnish his/her own transportation to
the point where the bus for that route is regularly stored. There will
be no "deadheading" of buses out of regularly assigned areas
for the convenience of the drivers or attendants.
- Regular Program Runs
Minimum contract hours include 30 minutes for the daily pre-trip/post-trip inspection, cleaning and refueling the bus.
- For drivers hired on a contract prior to July 1, 2014: Drivers will be paid at the regular rate of pay on quarter-hour increments for time worked beyond the four (4) hours per contract day. Some bus runs may not require the services of a driver for a normal four (4) hour day. As few drivers as possible shall be hired for less than a regular contract. These drivers shall be paid the regular contract hourly rate. If a contract driver is assigned to these runs, other work may be required to fulfill the hourly requirements of a contract bus driver.
- For drivers hired on a contract on or after July 1, 2014: Drivers will be paid at the regular rate of pay on quarter-hour increments for time worked beyond the six (6) hours per contract day.
- Drivers shall be paid
- Driving time shall be paid at the driver's established hourly rate.
- Payment for field trip/activity runs shall be based on actual driving and layover time plus a one-half hour allowance for inspecting, cleaning and fueling the bus. A minimum of two (2) hours is required.
- The hourly rate of pay for substitute bus drivers shall be equal to 100 percent of Lane 7, Step 1.
- Drivers shall be
compensated according to the the Standards for Utah School Buses and Operations Manual for time required for pre- or post-trip and for time
spent cleaning and fueling vehicles.
- Field Trip and
- Driver assignments
- Drivers interested
in driving for field trips and activity runs shall notify the
Director of Transportation or designee.
- A list of
interested drivers shall be compiled in the order of department
- Except in unusual circumstances, drivers shall not be assigned to field trip/activity runs which would require them to exceed a 40-hour work week even if contract hours are not worked because of scheduled or unscheduled leave usage. All overtime must be authorized by the Director of Transportation.
- As far as possible,
field trip/activity run assignments shall not interfere with regular
- Available field
trips and activity runs shall be posted in the Transportation Office
two (2) weeks in advance or for as many days as possible if two (2) weeks of
notification is not received.
- Interested drivers must indicate their interest by submitting the proper form with the Field Trip Office by 9:00 a.m. on the posted sign up day. The driver will list desired field trips/activity runs on the form by request number. Drivers may choose to be present (not on contract time) when their field trip requests are reviewed.
- Available field trip/activity run assignments shall be posted. Drivers shall bid on field trip/activity runs or be assigned based on the driver’s available hours within the 40-hour work week, department seniority, ability to meet the pick up/drop off time and preference, in that order. The same driver may be assigned to field trip/activity runs that extend over multiple days. (Drivers will not be penalized for extra time beyond what was posted or assigned.)
- The field trip bid process will proceed on a rotation order beginning with the senior driver on the list of interested drivers. Each driver will be allowed to sign up for one available field trip at a time. After a driver makes his/her selection, the next driver in seniority will make a selection. The procedure will continue through the list of interested drivers until all drivers on the list have had a chance to select one (1) field trip. Following this initial round of field trip selection, drivers who still need required contract hours will be assigned field trips until the obligation is met. After all obligated contract hours have been met, the field trip assignment process will resume with the seniority rotation procedure until all requested field trip/activity runs have been assigned.
- During the weeks prior to September 1 and after the spring sports tournaments, the District cannot guarantee 30-hour contract drivers, assigned to routes of less than 30 hours, the full 30 hours per week.
- Field trip/activity
run requests made with four (4) -13 days' notice will be assigned by the
Field Trip Office using the department seniority list until all
requests have been filled.
- Field trip/activity requests received with
less than 72 hours' notice will be assigned by the Director of
Transportation or his/her designee.
- Substitute drivers
shall not be assigned to field trip/activity runs until all
interested benefit-eligible drivers with available hours have been assigned.
- Drivers are
responsible to pick up their field trip/activity run assignments and
paperwork from the field trip office. Any assignment/ paperwork which has not been picked up by Thursday of the
week prior to the field trip will be reassigned to another available
- Drivers who decline the first assigned field trip/activity run must wait in rotation for his/her next opportunity to select a trip, the same as if he/she had selected a trip on his/her first opportunity.
- June Field Trips:
Drivers interested in driving field trips and activity runs shall
notify the Director of Transportation or designee. A list of
interested drivers will be compiled in the order of department
seniority. All overtime must be authorized by the
Director of Transportation. As far as possible, field trip/activity
runs should not interfere with regular route assignments.
- July and August
Field Trips: the field trip office will compile a list of drivers who
are interested in driving during this time period. The bidding
process will be done using the phone number(s) provided by the
driver. Those drivers who have indicated interest will be called
according to the department seniority list. The field trip office
will allow 30 minutes for the driver to return the phone call to
accept a field trip. After 30 minutes the field trip office will call
the next driver in line of seniority. The field trip office will go
through the entire list offering trips before returning to the top of
the list. Two (2) weeks before the start of traditional school bidding
will return to the process described in E.1.a.-g. above.
- The Director of
Transportation has authority to deviate from the assignment guidelines
listed in item E. 1. under the following circumstances:
- The field
trip/activity run requires more than 15 buses.
- The field
trip/activity run covers hazardous terrain.
- The field trip/activity
run request was received on short notice
- The field
trip/activity run is extended in time and/or distance.
- An unexpected need
for bus service must be met.
- An emergency school
closure or evacuation is underway.
- A community
emergency is underway.
- Other compelling
- Overnight travel: Drivers will be compensated for a minimum of eight (8) hours for each day traveling to and from the field trip destination. Drivers will be compensated for a minimum of eight (8) hours for each day at the destination. In accordance with Federal Department of Transportation Regulations, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration 49 CFR Part 395, a Jordan School District bus driver may only be on duty for 15 hours, followed by a full eight (8) hours of off-duty rest time. A driver may only drive for 10 of those 15 on-duty hours. Care should be taken to ensure drivers are well rested in order to operate the bus safely. The schools will be responsible to provide for the expenses incurred to be in compliance with this regulation, which may include a separate hotel room for each driver and any mileage or travel expenses for additional relief drivers.
- Bus drivers will be compensated as follows for field trips:
- Monday-Friday: Drivers shall be paid a minimum of two (2) hours or the actual time spent on field trip/activity runs. This time will include one-half hour for cleaning and fueling the bus. If the field trip/activity run is cancelled while the driver is on duty or the trip assignment is one-way (either to or from an event), drivers shall be paid for a minimum of two hours with the one-half hour allowance for inspecting, cleaning and fueling the bus included as part of the minimum. The additional costs will be charged to the school or department that cancels the activity.
- Weekend/Holidays: If the school fails to cancel the field trip prior to the driver arriving at the bus facility, the driver shall be paid for four (4) hours. The costs will be charged to the school or department that failed to cancel the activity.
- If the field
trip/activity run is not completed on time and a substitute must be
assigned to the driver's regular route, the school shall pay a minimum
of two (2) additional hours to cover substitute costs.
- Upon arrival at the
field trip/activity run destination, drivers shall secure the bus and
remain accessible to the group unless otherwise instructed by the
administrator in charge.
- The school
administration shall assure that one or more responsible, adult
supervisors are aboard each bus that is on a field trip/activity run.
- Drivers shall make every effort to assure safety and shall follow established procedures for student discipline. (See District Policy DA170—School Bus Discipline.)
- It is not permitted
for drivers to transport family members unless they are part of the
group/class paying for the trip. It is also not permitted for Jordan
School District buses to travel across State lines.
- Jordan School District buses are not authorized to operate between 1:00 A.M. and 4:00 A.M.
- When students are engaged in an activity where a change of clothing is required, schools should make arrangements for a changing room for students. School buses shall not be used as a dressing room.
- Assignment of Bus
- Bus attendants will be paid at the regular rate of pay on quarter-hour increments for time worked beyond the contract hours.
- For attendants hired on a contract prior to July 1, 2014: If a bus run does not require the services of a bus attendant for a normal four (4) hours per contract day, the bus attendant will be a temporary at-will substitute bus attendant for actual hours worked.
- For attendants hired on a contract on or after July 1, 2014: If a bus run does not require the services of a bus attendant for the normal six (6) hours per contract day, the bus attendant will be a temporary at-will substitute bus attendant.
- Field trip
assignments for attendants will be done in the following manner: The
field trip office will compile a list of attendants who are interested
in being attendants for field trips. Attendants will be notified using
the phone number(s) provided by the attendant. Those attendants who
have indicated interest will be called according to the department
seniority list. The field trip office will allow 30 minutes for the
attendant to return the phone call to accept or reject the field
trip/activity run. After 30 minutes the field trip office will call
the next attendant in line of seniority. The field trip office will go
through the entire list offering trips before returning to the top of
Revision history: 8/28/12, 7/28/15