SUBJECT: Bereavement Leave—Classified
- Board Directive
It is the directive of the Board to allow employees who qualify for benefits to receive released time with pay for bereavement in the case of the death of a member of the immediate family. The Board delegates the responsibility for implementing policy regarding bereavement leave for classified employees.
- Administrative Policy
The Bereavement Leave Policy shall be administered in accordance with the following administrative policy provisions:
- Employees shall be granted up to eight (8) days absence without pay deduction in the event of the death of a husband, wife, daughter or son. This would also include any other person residing in the home who may have assumed the role of daughter or son.
- Employees shall be granted up to three (3) days absence without pay deduction in the event of the death of the employee's or spouse's father, mother, grandchild, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, or other person residing in the employee's home.
- A maximum of two (2) additional days may be granted if travel time is needed. Travel must be in excess of 350 miles (one way) to qualify for additional days. An immediate supervisor shall request travel verification information from an employee.
- Bereavement Leave is provided only for the death of individuals listed under items A. and B. Employees who need to miss work because of the death of an individual not covered in this policy should refer to DP335B NEG —Personal Leave.
- Bereavement leave for part-time employees shall be prorated according to the percentage of a full-time contract; e.g., an employee on a 30-hour contract would be eligible for eight (8) six-(6) hour days for the death of a husband, wife, daughter or son.
- If the death of an employee's mother or father results in the loss of the only remaining parent, up to three (3) days may be taken to deal with estate issues. The three (3) additional days must be taken within one (1) calendar year of the parent's death.
These policies have been developed and
approved by the Jordan School District Board of Education for exclusive
use within Jordan School District. Any use by a person or organization
outside of Jordan School District is not authorized by the school district.
Jordan School District bears no responsibility for such unauthorized
use or adaptation of the policies of Jordan School District. Any party
copying or revising these policies for its own use does so at its own
risk and responsibility as to applicability and legal sufficiency.
Foreward | Alphabetical Policy Listing | Index by Policy Categories | Index by Policy Number | Jordan District Home