SUBJECT: Personal Leave—Licensed
- Board Directive
It is the policy of the Board to allow each licensed employee personal leave time as indicated below.
- Administrative Policy
The Personal Leave Policy shall be administered in accordance with the following administrative policy provisions:
Each eligible licensed employee of the District shall be given two (2) days per year personal leave at no cost to the employee. Employees hired after a contract year has started shall receive personal leave benefits on a prorated basis for the remainder of that year. Each employee may accumulate unused personal leave. An employee may not use more than five (5) accumulated personal leave days in any contract year. The following policy provisions must be followed:
- Except in unusual circumstances, prior notification must be given to the immediate supervisor at least one (1) day in advance.
- Personal leaves may be taken the day before or after a school holiday for the following specific reasons:
- Observance of religious holidays which fall on a regularly scheduled school calendar work day.
- Family weddings of near relatives including children, father, mother, brothers, sisters, grandchildren, grandparents, or the same to one's spouse or any other person who is a member of the same household as the employee.
- Graduations of near relatives as defined in "2." above.
- Required court appearances,
- Deaths not covered by Bereavement Policy.
- Conferences and conventions which relate to the individual employee's work assignment and are not covered by the Professional Leave Policy.
- Personal leaves may be taken the day before or after a school holiday for other reasons under the following stipulations:
- Based upon a maximum of one personal day for each 100 employees, personal leave shall be granted the day before or after a school holiday without being required to pay the cost of a long-term substitute provided the request is filed with the Human Resources Department at least 35 calendar days but not more than 45 calendar days before the holiday.
- On the first working day after the application deadline, numbers will be randomly generated which will identify those employees authorized to take personal leave without being required to pay the cost of a long-term substitute teacher. Written notification will be sent to all applicants.
- Employees shall not be considered for paid personal leave the day before or after a school holiday more than once during any contract year.
- Employees who have not registered prior to the deadline will not be allowed to fill unused slots.
- Licensed employees who do not qualify for the window but request a personal leave day must notify their principal five (5) working days prior to the date. Employees shall be required to pay the cost of a long-term substitute.
- Personal leave shall not be taken during the first five days and last five days that students are in school except under the following conditions:
- To attend the wedding of a near relative including child, father, mother, brother, sister, grandchild, grandparent or the same to one's spouse or any other person who is a member of the same household as the employee.
- To attend to personal or business matters which require the employee's attendance and scheduling is beyond the employee's control.
- Teachers may not take personal leave days during the four (4) days of contract time not involving students but may, through correlation with the principal, arrange to exchange one of these days for another non-contract day.
- Personal leave days may not be used during parent/teacher conferences.
- Personal leave days may not be used to pursue other employment.
- Personal leave days may not be used on make-up days as the result of employee job action.
These policies have been developed and
approved by the Jordan School District Board of Education for exclusive
use within Jordan School District. Any use by a person or organization
outside of Jordan School District is not authorized by the school district.
Jordan School District bears no responsibility for such unauthorized
use or adaptation of the policies of Jordan School District. Any party
copying or revising these policies for its own use does so at its own
risk and responsibility as to applicability and legal sufficiency.
Foreward | Alphabetical Policy Listing | Index by Policy Categories | Index by Policy Number | Jordan District Home