SUBJECT: Leave of Absence (Personal - 15 Days)—Classified
- Board Directive
The Board of Education encourages employees to avoid absenteeism and to schedule vacations, trips, and other personal activities at times that do not interrupt work schedules. However, the Board recognizes that circumstances may make it necessary for employees to request a leave of absence from time to time. Therefore, the Board authorizes the District Administration to implement a Leave of Absence policy.
- Administrative Policy
The Leave of Absence policy shall be administered according to the following administrative policy provisions:
- Employees shall be discouraged from requesting a personal leave of absence during the school year.
- In the event that an employee has a serious or compelling need for a leave of absence, a request may be made in writing to the appropriate Administrator. The request must be made and approved prior to the leave being taken. Failure to receive approval prior to the leave may result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment as outlined in DP316B - Orderly Termination Procedures – Classified. The request must clearly state the reason that a leave of absence is necessary. After due consideration, the request shall either be granted or denied. Notification will be provided to the employee in writing.
- Leaves of absence granted under this policy shall be without pay except as provided under item H. below.
- Contract employees shall not be granted more than fifteen (15) days' leave of absence under this policy in any three-year period.
- Nutrition Service employees who are in year-round schools will be granted an additional five (5) non-paid days per year.
- An employee whose request for an unpaid leave is denied and who chooses to absent himself/herself from his/her assignment despite the denial shall be deemed to have voluntarily terminated his/her employment with the District.
- This leave does not negate the other official leave provisions of the Board as listed below:
- Released Time (Jury Duty)
- Released Time (Professional)
- Sick Leave
- Nutrition Service employees who are contracted and work in year-round schools shall be granted two (2) days of paid leave per year beginning with their second year of employment. Nutrition Service employees hired prior to January 1 of the contract year shall be counted as having one year of service.
- Days of paid leave must be used during the contract year and do not accrue from year to year.
- Days of paid leave must be approved by the Nutrition Service manager at least five (5) days in advance.
- Paid leave days may not be used during the first five (5) or last five (5) days of the school year.
- Use of these two (2) paid leave days shall not impact the no absence reimbursement incentive.
- Employees who voluntarily transfer from a year-round schedule to a traditional schedule shall forfeit any previously earned paid leave days.
- Employees who are involuntarily transferred from a year-round schedule to a traditional schedule shall be eligible for two (2) days of paid leave during the transfer year.
These policies have been developed and
approved by the Jordan School District Board of Education for exclusive
use within Jordan School District. Any use by a person or organization
outside of Jordan School District is not authorized by the school district.
Jordan School District bears no responsibility for such unauthorized
use or adaptation of the policies of Jordan School District. Any party
copying or revising these policies for its own use does so at its own
risk and responsibility as to applicability and legal sufficiency.
Foreward | Alphabetical Policy Listing | Index by Policy Categories | Index by Policy Number | Jordan District Home